Did you ever make cootie catchers when you were little? I remember making them and then telling fortunes to my friends, my mum, or anyone who would stand still long enough for me to go through the long, complicated process.
For those who didn't play with them, the person who wants her fortune told picks one of the colours on the outside of the cootie catcher, and the fortune teller opens and closes the device while she counts out the letters in the colour name. Then the
The last time Becca and Maggie were over, they helped the girls make cootie catchers. They folded the paper into the complicated form, and wrote the colour names under blocks coloured by Leah and Rachel:
Then, taking dictation from Leah and Rachel, they wrote in the fortunes under the flaps.
The girls found one of those the other day in the toybox and started playing with it again. It's quite a peek into their psyches, I tell ya. Here is the list the various fortunes found in it for your enjoyment (complete with original punctuation):
- You are going to be evil when you grow up.
- You will have a party!
- You have weird eyes.
- You will have a pillow fight with a guy named Sawyer.*
- You will find dead pirate bones!
- You will eat berries!
- You will invent robot glasses and wear them to school Monday.
- You will fall in a volcano.
* Sawyer is the older brother of one of Leah's friends. One weekend a while ago this friend's mother kindly took both of my girls for a sleepover so I could go out. Apparently Rachel has never forgotten pillow fighting with Alora's big brother.