Friday, November 07, 2008

Dear Universe

Are you there Universe, it's me, Margaret. Just kidding... kidding. Seriously though, there are a couple of things I'd like to get off my chest.

First of all, thanks for the great weather the last few days, it was a lovely birthday present. I cannot remember another birthday that had me wearing a sweater to work rather than a jacket. Kudos. I figured it was karma from all the nice, good things I do occasionally on a regular basis. So I might be pushing my luck here, but perhaps there are a few other things you could take care of for me? My to-do list is pretty full, do you think you might be able to help me out?

  • Could you perhaps slow time, or maybe slip an extra month into the year this year? November is here and I haven't done any Christmas shopping or giftmaking. And wouldn't you know it, every single book I had on request at the library came in at once, which is seriously putting a dent in my knitting time seeing as I'm reading instead.
  • Leaves. I'm so freaking tired of raking leaves. Could you perhaps arrange the prevailing wind to reverse itself til, say, December, so the leaves in my yard blow into my neighbour's yard instead of me bagging endless piles of maple leaves when I don't even have a maple tree in my yard? Thanks.
  • Dish fairies would be a nice idea. Ditto laundry fairies and picking-up-crap-around-the-house fairies. Barring that, maybe you could curb the slob tendencies in my children. Because that's something I'm apparently unable to do.
  • Oh, and if you could make them eat some new things, I'd appreciate it. True story, Universe: Rachel tried home fries the other night. I wheedled and cajoled and threatened, and she gingerly took a bite and chewed and said, "It tastes good. But I don't like them."
  • Maybe you could intermittently change the physical properties of wood, so when I bang my head on the table in despair at things like that, I don't get those annoying forehead bruises.

I'll check in later and see if you've managed to get any of that done. I have a couple of work projects to finish, some interviews to schedule, the vacuuming, and of course some raking to do before starting to make the pizza dough for dinner. Maybe we can sit down later and have a beer together and check some things off our lists, K?

6 comments:

  1. LOL Alison, I'd like some of those things too. I have heard my girls say similar things about food as Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one or two of those fairies too. Especially the "picking-up-crap-around-the-house fairies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get done with the fairies could you send them to my house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you! I need TIME, more TIME! And a child that will eat a vegetable that's not hidden in V8 Fusion.

    But trees, sadly -- we have none in our yard. Such is suburbia here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:46 PM

    My girls won't eat homemade mac 'n' cheese. I could cry over that one.

    What are you knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It tastes good. But I don't like them." Bwa ha ha! That would be so freakin' funny, if she weren't channeling Tristan.

    ReplyDelete