Sunday, November 30, 2008

Things I learned today

We deviate from the previously scheduled post to bring you this list of Things I Learned Today.

1. Snow tires and rims cost a really huge amount of money. OK, technically I learned that yesterday, but still, a really huge amount of money. Which explains why I'm typing this on an elderly desktop Dell down in the chilly semi-finished basement redolent with olfactory reminders that the cat litter needs cleaning instead of typing this on a shiny new laptop as I sit cross-legged on the living room couch sipping a chai tea latte.

2. If you are going to bake Christmas cookies with the kids, and you choose Citrus Sugar Cookies as your first recipe, and you bring out your Lee Valley Tools rasp and zester holder to zest the lemons and limes, DO THE ZESTING YOURSELF. I cannot stress this enough. Sure, it *seems* obvious, doesn't it. But Mother of the Year I'm not. I let Rachel do it. Very soon we were on hiatus as Rae and I trooped into the bathroom to wash and band-aid her grated thumb. While we were gone, Leah decided to take up the slack. She promptly grated her knuckle. In retrospect, I'm really glad I bought extra lemons, because we had to discard the zest on account of Citrus Sugar Skin Cookies don't sound so appetizing.

3. And the BEST thing I learned today is that your votes put me in the finals for a Canadian Blog Award in the Best Family Blog category! You guys rock! Voting for this second and final round (1 vote per IP address) runs for one week, and I'd be ever so grateful if you'd take the time on my account to vote again.

I'm totally convinced that this picture helped, so imagine me looking like this, and please go vote:

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Yay you for making it to Round 2!!!

    Poor Leah AND Rachel. Did they get chocolate to help ease their pain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jen, kisses of both the human and Hershey variety were bestowed on the injured parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah the picture worked. i saw you with fuzzy ears and long whiskers and i had to vote immediately :P

    Speedy grated her knuckle on the cheese grater once when we were making tacos.

    no more children near graters. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done - have voted for you again! Can I vote again at work since that is a different IP then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other Jen - Yes, you can vote for me again on your work computer, or drop by an Internet café on your way to work, or sneak into co-workers offices and vote for me on their computers. Any of these scenarios would work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and thanks for voting for me! You are all so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! Congrats on making the final round!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:43 PM

    Ya, Alison. I've already voted, of course. And the best part about that picture is that inside that cute kitty is the voice of Antonio himself...my future secret lover

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Citrus Sugar Skin Cookies"...love it, maybe i'll get myself un-invited to a few christmas cookie exchange parties by offering to bring these....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to go the sly route and use my husband's computer and will do it once more with feeling from work!

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Number 1 (the 2nd part with laptop and chai tea latte) sounds like me! lol.. I do have that litter issue too though.

    congrats on the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!
    I know what you mean about snow tires being soo expensive, UGH!
    I love the Shrek kitty, soo innocent.
    Sorry about the girls knuckles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vote has been entered. I'm living vicariously through you...so I hope you win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoops--the "Mike and Susan" comment above is just me. I tried voting again under this ID, but it wouldn't let me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woohoo congrats for making it to round 2. I tell you it's all about squirrels in chimneys.

    Snow tires. Expensive but worth it.

    ReplyDelete