Tuesday, October 23, 2007

About last night

Things I wanted to do last night:
  • Watch episode 3 of The Tudors which I missed last Tuesday because of book club, but Natalie tapes it, and loaned it to me until today, when she needs the tape back to tape something else
  • Work on the slippers I'm knitting for Leah. Two years ago, I made a pair for Rachel, and Leah's been waiting for me to make her a pair ever since. To say I'm a rank amateur at knitting is to pay me a big compliment.
  • Read. Seriously. I have a bunch of books out of the library, and I can think of nothing more desirable* than to curl up on the couch or in my bed and read for longer than it takes me to pee. Lately, my books have been living in the bathroom and are being ingested in pee-length segments. To say that this makes following the narrative difficult is somewhat of an understatement.
Things I should have done last night:
  • Laundry. More specifically, folding and putting away laundry. The pile of clean and wrinkled clothing on top of my dryer is very large and teetery. One day it will overbalance and bury me completely and I won't be found until the smell of decay is stronger than the smell of fabric softener sheets.
  • Clean birthday cake icing smears off the dining room floor and take down the streamers and balloons from Rae's birthday party Sunday.
  • Vacuum fish pellets off the living room floor. Don't ask.
What I did last night:
  • Turned the phone ringer off and went to bed at 7:45, right after tucking in the girls.
  • Lapsed into unconsciousness.

*Well, OK, I have to admit that curling up with Johnathan Rhys-Meyers on the couch or in my bed would be infinitely more desirable. Sorry, book.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:01 PM

    Thank god I'm not the only one who has to squeeze their reading into pee breaks.

    And the man candy - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:55 PM

    But don't you feel so much better today after a good night's sleep?!

    Clean for, um, 15 minutes tonight. Then turn the ringer off on the phone and read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed that your kids are in bed that early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josie - Lol. Sometimes I think the bathroom should be rechristened the library. Oh, and he is man-candy for sure!

    Alissa - great idea. I'll do it!

    Susan - I've learned that if they don't get enough sleep they are not happy campers when I wake them up at 6 to get ready for school. I aim for a 7:30 bedtime. I don't always make it, some nights I'm still trying to get Rae settled down at 8:30, but by and large they're in bed before 8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books are definitely more important than laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a night like that on Monday! I was asleep ontop of my covers at 6:30! Thankfully Kevin got the boys into bed without me because I was dead to the world!

    ReplyDelete