Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring

It's above freezing today, it's nearly 11 degrees. The sun is shining, there's birdsong in the air -- the metallic-sounding calls of the first robins, the chirring of the red-winged blackbirds, the harsh croaking of the bluejays, and the autumnal honking of the geese heading back north -- and my front walkway is a small lake from the melting snow. I have all the windows open to air out the house, and I'm already thinking about all the yard work that will need to be done when the last of the snow is gone.

And I'm not the only one in the house who's noticed that spring is coming.

8 comments:

  1. It must be nice to have proper seasons. In Scotland we just sort of slide from cold rain to slightly less cold rain and call it spring. Not the same somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's finally here. Honestly, finally and truly here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Don't say that Nat. It's only March. We could be in for some nasty surprises yet. And Bazel has been peering out the window more than usual today, too. Not to mention shedding a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my husband was giving the kids crap for playing in the wet sandbox getting muddy, so I said "why don't you just tell them to go inside and watch TV?" The kids thought this was hysterical, my husband not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think we are a few weeks ahead of you in Ohio. We've spent the last 2 weekends doing the yardwork you mentioned. I even got Neil to till the garden, maybe this week I will plant lettuce?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We opened up our house yesterday too. I even did my annual cleaning of my car too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I hope it is finally Spring! My cats are anxious to go out too!:)

    ReplyDelete