Thursday, May 15, 2008

Six things

A while back, Moo tagged me with the '6 things about me' meme. I've done something similar before, once or twice, but I'll see if I can think up 6 more things about me that you might find vaguely interesting. I'm not making any promises on the level of interestingness though.

As always, the rules:

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
6. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.

(I'm not going to tag anyone, this has been around a few times, but if you'd like to play, hey, knock yourself out and leave me a comment so I can go look at your answers.)

1. I'm a pretty lucky person. I mean beyond the 'I have my health, 2 beautiful daughters, a home, good job, wonderful family and friends' lucky (though I'm lucky in those respects too). Over a 3-year period, I won nearly $5000 worth of things from a local radio station by playing their contests and phoning in to win. The list: a Sens date night (a limo picked us up and took us to an Ottawa Senators (NHL) hockey game, with dinner beforehand in the upscale restaurant where the season-ticket holders eat, seats at the blue line only 3 rows from the ice, and a limo ride home. They even threw in $50 for a babysitter and a DVD movie for the kids to watch while we were out.) Then all the winners of the date nights -- there were ten -- were entered in a draw for a pair of really nice diamond earrings, and I won the draw. A couple of years later I won a power washer and tickets for the Rolling Stones concert when they came to town, with a pre-concert party/dinner with the other winners and some of the radio station DJs. Still no luck with lottery tickets though.

2. I'm a cat person rather than a dog person. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs and have even loved dogs in the past, but given a choice, I'll pick a cat every time. (See, this is what I mean about the level of interestingness.)

3. I'd rather read than watch TV or a movie. This is kind of weird, considering I'm an editor and read for a living -- you'd think the last thing I'd want to do when I got home was read, but that's what I do. I keep buying DVDs on sale, and VHS tapes from garage sales, to have on hand when there's nothing good on TV, and I still haven't gotten around to watching them. I found an old VHS copy of Foul Play, a Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn movie I remember loving when I was a teenager, at a used book sale a while ago. I put it in my bedroom weeks ago, thinking I might like to snuggle in bed and watch it. I haven't yet, but I've read at least 8 novels during that time.

4. I was trapped in an elevator once. At the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa. On a Sunday, when there are no technicians on site. In total there were 5 of us on the elevator: me with a toddler Leah in a stroller, and a friend with her youngest in a stroller, and her claustrophobic husband. It was not a fun 20 minutes or so. But at least none of us gave birth.

5. I've never seen the movie "Grease".

6. I bumped into Margaret Atwood once. I was living in Toronto and working downtown. One day I was heading into the bank near the corner of Yonge and College. I wasn't looking where I was going, I was rummaging in my purse for something, when I walked smack into a lady coming out of the bank. I stopped and apologized, and then went into the bank thinking, "I know her from somewhere." Yeah, from the author picture on the backs of several novels in my bookcase. I also saw David Suzuki in a pub on College St. a couple of weeks later. And once, when walking to a restaurant for lunch with friends from work, we passed the Delta Chelsea and saw a limo pull up and the Ramones got out. Toronto was fun.

So there you have it. I have no more random and/or interesting things to share. I will not be doing any more of these postings. You can thank me for this by sending chocolate.

12 comments:

  1. Seriously, you've never seen Grease? I find that totally amazing. It's one of my absolute favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one get past 20 without having seen Grease?? That one boggles my mind.

    Done the stuck in elevator thing - albeit not with toddlers or a claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:15 PM

    I'd rather read than watch TV, too. But I HAVE seen Grease :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, god, getting stuck in an elevator ::shudder::

    Also? I have never seen the movie Titanic. So I feel ya' there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ramones? RAMONES???? my life now seems a lot less interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Alison, I can't believe you haven't seen Grease? I can't imagine. It is so corny, high-schoolish with a great sound track!

    Me, I can't stand James Bond movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:16 AM

    About #1: I can't believe you haven't won lotto with such a great luck in your past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Grease either and until now I didn't think it was a major gap in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoops--that was me, screwing up in the comments again...

    LOVE Grease--seen it a million times...but I've never seen E.T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a cat person too - and I would have LOST MY SHIT in that elevator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have never seen Grease?

    My husband has never seen The Sound of Music. He's no interest in seeing it though. The thought of a singing nun doesn't appeal to him.

    ReplyDelete