Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sick

When I was little, I kind of liked being sick, just a little bit. I liked when my mom would make up a bed for me on the sofa so that I could watch TV. I got to drink ginger ale (we never had pop in the house) and she'd make my favourite comfort food for me (tuna salad inside Pillsbury crescent rolls, hot from the oven.) I liked the feeling of being cared for, looked after, safe and warm and cozy.

Now I'm an adult, and the only one in charge of two other human beings....not so much. Being sick is awful. What started as what I thought were spring allergies soon revealed themselves as a cold, which then morphed into the worst case of bronchiitis I've had since Rae was born. And it's kicking my ass. The coughing is bad, but the bone-tiredness is the worst, I have zero energy. It's hard to explain to the girls that Mommy just isn't up to walking to the park, or that just getting to swim lessons is a major feat, and I don't have the energy to do anything afterwards except go home and go to bed. They want to help, bless their hearts -- Rae stands beside the couch I'm lying on and very seriously brushes the hair off my forehead and kisses me there, an echo of the many times I've done that to her fevered brow -- but they're still too little. They're the ones needing looking after.

It's frustrating to be home and yet not have the energy to catch up on the laundry, or mow the lawn, or even get on the computer. So I'm apologising for being a bit absent around here and on your blogs lately. It's not that I don't care. Hopefully, in a few days when the $200 worth of antibiotics and steroids kick in, I can get back to blogging and visiting your blogs. And maybe even tell about the near-death experience we had here at the house.

(I'm not too sick to tease, lol.)

17 comments:

  1. You need to take care of yourself first and foremost.
    Are you staying home?
    It's adorable that the girls are replicating everything you have done for them.
    $200 in antibiotics??? Please tell me you have a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 PM

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:17 PM

    aww, feel better! I've been exactly where you are, and I know how much it sucks.

    Feel better. If I were there I'd take your girls for you in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't know how you do it on your own, i really don't. your girls sound very patient and caring though - thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear you about doing it all on a good day, but also having a heckuva time doing it while being sick. My son is the same... rubbing my head and getting me things. So very thoughtful of your girls to do it too.

    Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are back in business soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor A. Believe it or not, it's actually good for your kids to see you not being super-mom all the time. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:35 AM

    Do take care of yourself. Cold and flu season have been nasty. :)

    Can someone come help you with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  9. feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sucks. It's never easy when mommy is sick. I hope the medicine works and you can start to feel better soon. I've missed your blog and "seeing" you around bundles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:54 PM

    That's sweet, about your daughter kissing your forehead. :)
    Colds and flus whoop by butt too. And can I admit this here? I tend to be a sucky sick person to boot. I need LOTS of TLC otherwise I am very, desperately, unhappy. I just can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wondering where you were. So sorry to hear you were sick, I was hoping for some juicy story where you'd met some guy and had been holed up with him somewhere while Dean got to be Daddy for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your girls are so thoughtful! Hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll say it for the millionth time...single parents are my heros! I just don't know how you even get the girls up adn out the door each morning while you're sick. Hang in there, you're doing a great job! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwww, take care of yourself and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sucks Alison. I do hope those $$$ drugs do their magic soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I hope you feel better SOON!

    ReplyDelete