1. This first one's from Meanoldmommy, a music meme, which is very apropos since a large proportion of the time and effort expended on the weekend involved music -- from the host who couldn't get going in the morning without his coffee and the Chili Peppers "Especially in Michigan", the wild dancing to Teenage Head, Forgotten Rebels and even KC and the Sunshine Band, and one pinch-hitting DJ who kept putting on the Doors Greatest Hits whenever he took over:
What’s your ringtone? "Talk" by Coldplay (Geddit? Talk? Yeah, I crack myself up sometimes).
What’s the most incongruous song on your mp3 player? (blushing and looking away) probably a tie between Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy?" or, well, Tom Jones doing Prince's "Kiss" (Total cheese, I know. I can't believe it either. Don't judge me).
What is the one genre of music you cannot stand? Country. Or Country and Western. Or Western. Or whatever. You get the picture. If it has the slightest hint of a twang or those cutesy lyrics, I ain't interested.
What’s your desert island disc? Good question. "Graceland" by Paul Simon. Or "Road Apples" from the Tragically Hip.
What’s your secret musical weakness? Ummm, 80's Europop. Tears for Fears, Howard Jones, Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Fine Young Cannibals, Naked Eyes, Pet Shop Boys. Oh, and *whispering* Bryan Adams (sue me).
Do you play a musical instrument? Nope.
Best makeout song, ever: Tom Petty's "Breakdown"
Best driving song: "Blood and Roses", the Smithereens
One song that you think everyone should read the lyrics of: "Sympathy for the Devil", the Stones
Is downloading music for free a sin? Not sure.
Do you karaoke? Well....not as a rule. Apparently there is blackmail video of me and my sister-in-law singing karaoke after our neice's wedding reception, but as long as I haven't seen it, I can pretend it doesn't exist. I have only the sketchiest of memories of doing it (open bar at wedding. Say no more).
One musician you would happily whore yourself to: Robert Palmer, except he's, you know, dead, which might spoil the experience somewhat.
First album you ever bought: soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever (I was what, 10? 11?)
Most recent album you bought: KT Tunstall, "Eye to the Telescope"(<-actually bought; my most recent fave that my friend Becca gave me is Keane, "Hopes and Fears" A.Ma.Zing).
Favorite Beatles song (oh come on, everyone has one): Back in the USSR
One song that represents your teenage years: Adam Ant, "Goody Two Shoes"
One song that represents your 20s: "I Want you to Want Me", Cheap Trick
One song that represents where you are right now: "Smile", Lily Allen
One song that represents your blog: "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks (cause my blog can't make up its mind what it wants to be -- it's a bunch of different things)
2. The second is a book theme that I pinched from Dani at Postcards from the Mothership. And it's eerie how it turned out. This has been one of my very favourite books since childhood, and I reread it every 5 years or so.
You're Watership Down!
by Richard Adams
Though many think of you as a bit young, even childish, you're
actually incredibly deep and complex. You show people the need to rethink their
assumptions, and confront them on everything from how they think to where they
build their houses. You might be one of the greatest people of all time. You'd
be recognized as such if you weren't always talking about talking rabbits.
Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.
3. And, finally, an abbreviated, bullet point (in interests of saving time) version of the 'Eight things about me' meme that Dani tagged me with ages ago:
Eight things about me
1. I hate the taste of black licorice or aniseed. One time, I thought I could get over the aversion, and I drank several shots of Sambuca. It was not pretty, and I hate the taste more than ever since then.
2. I'm very easily distracted. My friend Ev makes fun of me by looking upwards and pawing at the air like a cat playing with a dangling string and saying "Oooo, look, something shiny!". I'd be insulted, but she has a point. This morning I was distracted by my own toes. I was wearing my favourite sandals and my eyes were caught by the lilac metal toenail polish I was wearing as I walked from my car to my office. I tripped on the curb.
3. I'm very clumsy. See above.
4. I can't go to sleep at night unless the sheets are all tucked in.
5. I think that there's no such thing as too much garlic.
6. I'm a pretty good dart player.
7. I'm quite tall -- 5'10" in my bare feet.
8. I have a thing for ferryboats. No, wait, that's McDreamy. *I* have a thing for Grey's Anatomy. Or at least I did before it got all stupid at the end of last season.
9. My favourite author at the moment is Iain Banks. But his straight literary novels, not his SF novels, which are published under the name Iain M. Banks. (See, it was supposed to be 8 things, and I got distracted)