Thursday, December 23, 2010

I am an idiot, volumes I and II

Volume I

While wrapping Christmas gifts yesterday, I decided to charge the battery for the camera that my dad bought Rachel. I read the instructions and carefully hooked the charging cable to the camera and to the thing that plugs into the wall. A red light was supposed to light up and then turn green when the battery is full. I plugged it in. No light. Hmmmm. Maybe a different electrical outlet? No light. Crap, I thought, maybe the charger is broken. I went back to look at the instructions, and noticed the battery sitting right there on the table.

I am an idiot.

Volume II

Today is our office's pot luck Christmas lunch. I was too tired last night to make the broccoli salad for the lunch, and went to bed at 9:30, figuring I'd get up in the morning and make it. When the alarm went off this morning, I hopped out of bed and started the coffee maker. I had unplugged it the night before and so the clock on it was flashing zeroes. I got the water boiling for the broccoli, and the ice water ready for after it was blanched. I put the tv on the CTV news channel, and started chopping an onion and grating cheese. I glanced at the clock on the microwave. It said 2:12 and I thought, "Oh, there must have been a power outage last night, the clock is wrong."

I blanched the broccoli, and made the dressing. While the broccoli was cooling, I poured a cup of coffee and decided to check my email before jumping in the shower. While on the laptop, I drank my coffee, and wondered idly why Canada A.M. hadn't started yet. Surely it was 6 a.m. by now, and the news channel should be showing Canada A.M., but no, it was still Lloyd Robertson and last night's news.

Hmmmm. I got up and went over to the clock on the thermostat, which is never affected by power outages. 2:46 a.m. And the horror slowly dawned on me. I hadn't changed my alarm setting since Monday night when I set it for 1:30 a.m. so that Leah and I could get up and watch the lunar eclipse.

It was the middle of the night and I was sitting in the living room drinking coffee. (Which is why, Natalie, you have an email from me about the explanatory notes sent around 2:40 a.m.)

I am an idiot.

17 comments:

  1. OK, the battery thing anyone could have done. The alarm thing? Made me laugh. Hope you're not too tired later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I guess it's just as well that you'd started the coffee early, because I'm guessing you'll need the caffeine to get through today.

    I've done variations on the battery thing more times than I can count. I guess that makes me the village idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... been there done that. Ok. Maybe not exactly that ... but close.

    In similar news, I drove the boy school last week without my glasses on. I'd taken them off when I entered the house and they fogged up. Then promptly left sans lunettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UK Jen - I did go back to bed. The coffee kept me awake for about half an hour, but I ended up sleeping until 6:30. And the salad was already done, bonus!

    US Jen - I'm feeling pretty good right now, but may need more coffee when I get home from work to get things done.

    Nat - I forget my glasses all the time, or I put them down and then can't remember where. They're only for reading, but I refuse to get an old lady chain to hang them around my neck. Refuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you living my life sometimes!? Hopefully you got a bit of sleep before work.

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this made me chuckle because it is so something that would happen to me, both volumes.

    Merry Christmas to you and your girls, Alison!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoot! this is one of those posts that make me feel better about myself (sorry....)

    -Meanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Wow. At least you got the salad done. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah - Could be. Let's both try to get some sleep tonight. Merry Christmas to you and Hannah and Simon, and wishes for a happy new year!

    Dani - Thanks! And my wishes for a wonderful Christmas for you, Beloved and the boys. Maybe we can actually meet up at a bloggers' breakfast or BOLO this year!

    Meanie - Well if I can't be a shining example, then I'll be a horrible warning. :-)

    Las Vegas - Yes, at least I got the salad made. And I got a good story to tell at lunch, too. And I did go back to sleep once I figured out what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe we can start an Idiots Anonymous - Ottawa Chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUP!!! snicker.snicker, snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:33 PM

    I love idiots. They make me feel better about my own idiocy...

    - Jazz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I"m an idiot too. Let's form a club.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Krista11:44 AM

    The broccoli salad was delicious and the story behind it is very funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again LOL!!! Although, I'm sure at the time you didn't think getting up in the middle of the night too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you made salad in the middle of the night. That is totally something that I would do!

    ReplyDelete